Martin’s House & Barn (MH&B, formerly St. Martin’s Ministries) began providing services nearly 40 years ago using an old dairy barn on the Benedictine Sisters’ Ridgely, Maryland property. The original vision of the founding Benedictine Sisters was based on the teachings of St. Martin de Porres, a staunch mixed-race Peruvian monk born in 1579 in Lima and known for his values of racial harmony, social justice, humility and “unremitting care and concern for the poor, children, and the sick.” They dedicated their lives and the original facility to the collection and distribution of food and clothing to their Caroline County neighbors in need. A decade later, the founders of MH&B designed and built a 10,000 square foot transitional residence providing shelter, food, and clothing for up to 12 homeless women and children. Opened in 1992, “The House” along with “The Barn” operations formed a four-acre, 18,000 square foot complex dedicated to providing a safety net for local families and individuals struggling to keep enough food on the table and a roof over their heads.
No upcoming events